Monday, February 27, 2006

I got nothin'...

Yep. Nothing. I should be reading for class, but I cannot seem to focus on it. I am Jack's lack of motivation. It's stuff I've read before, so should I fail to read it again by 6:30pm tomorrow, I'll probably be okay. Speaking of class, I spent a while today writing a paper about my vision of youth ministry as interpreted through a metaphor. It was an interesting process. I eventually settled on youth ministry as an orchestra, which was an okay idea, I suppose. But writing the paper was a great experience (and how often can I say that about writing a paper?) and allowed me to really think about what I envision for my youth ministry. I did a similar project last semester, but I had to tweak the vision a bit to make it fit in with the rest of the paper.

Anyway, it got me thinking about what I want to do with my life. I've got all kinds of ideas, ranging from teaching to going into the music biz. I want to do so many things. I want to be a rock star. I want to teach. I want to start my own record label. I want to start a youth-oriented club. I want to do this and that, yadda yadda. Ideas that may be ridiculous, ideas that may be brilliant. But none of that is really important. I need to figure out not what I want to do, but rather what I should do. Someone very wise once told me, "It's not a matter of finding what you want to do with your life, what job you're supposed to have. It's about your relationship with God." That makes some sense to me. But I want a convergence of the two. I want to find a vocation that enhances my relationship with God while allowing me to help youth do the same. I think that's a noble desire- to have what I want to do be in line with what I should do. Now it's about figuring that out.

Enough metaphysical rambling.

On a practical level, I need to find a job for the summer, so I can start paying off the 'Blazer. I'd really love to work at Briarlake over the summer, maybe working with the youth group. But I'd even work in the office or whatever they needed, just so I can get really acquainted with the church as a whole. Whatever it is, I gotta make some money, that's for sure. I really enjoy Briarlake- I really like the services there, especially the music. I'm actually meeting with Alfred Burgess, the student minister, tomorrow to talk about doing my Con Ed (for you non-Candler people, that's like my fieldwork/on the job training) there next year. I talked to Tommy, the lead pastor, and he seemed really enthused about it. So, I think that'll be an awesome experience, assuming we can work it all out. I've been praying about it for a while now.

Yeah.

The music blog is now up and running, complete with the initial entry. I chose Project 86's "Wordsmith Legacy" since it is the namesake of the new blog. I think it's appropriate. I'm already mentally compiling a list of songs at which to look. Ideally I'll bring in a wide variety of music to analyze. I think the first one went well. Hopefully people will take a look at it (not-so-subtle proverbial "hint-hint, wink-wink, nudge-nudge" if you know what I'm saying). Comment, disagree, complain, provide alternate views, agree, whatever. I'm looking for it all. You don't even have to like the type of music. It's more a lyrical look than anything.

Enough shameless self-promotion.

I think that's about all I have to say for now. Oh, I discovered a new website recently. If you like video games, or web comics, or web comics about video games, check out: http://www.vgcats.com. It's pretty funny. Occasionally a bit foul-mouthed, but hey, aren't we all at times? Thanks to Amy for enlightening me as to this comedic delicacy.

That is all.

Je suis le roi de fromage.

Peace...

No comments: