Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Feeling Creative

I feel like I want to create something. It started months ago (with the post about writing on writing) with a desire to write. Since then it has reformed? Reshaped? Reconfigured? It has become a need to create something.

Millions of avenues.

No direction.

Just a desire to make something. To build something from nothing.

I kind of want to write a comic book.
Or make a movie.
Or start a podcast.
Or really learn to play an instrument.
Or write consistently on this blog or another blog.
Or build something.

It is basically an unfocused desire to take thoughts and ideas and do something creative and constructive with them. I just need to figure out what to do.

For pretty much as long as I can remember, I have felt like I've been moderately good at many things, but great at absolutely nothing. A jack of all trades, master of none sort of situation. What's my thing? What's that one thing that, when people think of me, they think I'm really great at it?

I have no clue.

Maybe this desire to create something is really just a desire to figure out that thing at which I have the potential to be great? Start something new and maybe, just maybe, I'll be really good at it. Or at least realize the potential to be really great at it. Obviously, I don't expect to just take up something new and be awesome at it. But it would be nice to figure out what in the world I have some real talent for, and find a way to put it to work creatively.

The most recent thing has been considering starting a podcast. It's relatively cheap to start, it is seemingly easy to do, and open to a variety of avenues. I've been listening to a lot of Kevin Smith podcasts for a while now, and he seems to love just sitting down with folks and talking. That seems to be the thing that drives him the most. I can see the appeal. The appeal of sitting down with friends and strangers and delving deep into a subject and plumbing the depths to see what one can find.

The issue is figuring out what focus to take. Do I make it faith/church/theology centric? Or indulge my love of gaming/nerddom/film/music/comics? Do I make it about people and their stories? Or about people's passions and vocations and how they intersect?

What's the hook?

What would people enjoy listening to and engaging?

What would I like to listen to? Getting back to Kevin Smith, he often goes on these rants about people chasing whimsy and doing something for the love of simply doing it, chasing a passion or an idea and making something happen.

So I'm trying to figure out where to channel this creative energy into something creative and productive.

Any ideas?

Peace...

No comments: